Kids- their feet and shoes | The Podiatrist and yourfeetnz
If you have active kids, making sure they’re wearing the right shoes for what they’re doing, and for their own unique physique, can be as important and wearing their retainers or washing their faces.
- One in three children who plays a team sport is injured seriously enough to miss practice or games.
- Children’s bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments are still growing, making them more susceptible to injury.
When it comes to issues of our kids’ we need to know to keep them safe, and help them understand how to do things right.
A few things we can do, and remind them to do, include:
- Kids should have at least one or two days off from any particular sport each week to avoid overuse injuries.
- If you experience a foot or ankle injury while playing sports, early attention is key to preventing further damage. Always ice the injury, never use heat.
- Choose footwear specific to your activity. Sneakers made for tennis players will provide different support and traction than cleats made for football players.
- If you participate in a certain sport at least two to three times a week, you should wear a sport-specific shoe.
- Go to a store that specializes in athletic shoes, or The Podiatrist for suggestions.
- Be sure to have their feet measured every time you purchase new shoes, as feet size and shape can change (especially in kids) as we age.
For all your foot problems, visit The Podiatrist
Posted on February 8, 2016, in Contact a Podiatrist, Kids n Motion, What is a Podiatrist, Your feet and tagged ACC, achilles pain, Achilles tendonitis, ankle injury, arch, arch pain, arch support, arch supports, Athlete's foot, athletes, Athletic shoe, auckland podiatrist, auckland podiatrists, auckland podiatry, auckland podiatry clinic, baby feet, blisters, bones, bunions, Callus, Caron Orelowitz, chilblains, Child, children, children's foot problems, childrens feet, claw toes, corns, diabetes, east auckland podiatry, feet, fitting, flat feet, flip-flops, Foot, foot care, foot experts, foot inserts, foot orthoses, foot orthotics, foot pain, foot specialist, foot specialists, Footwear, hammer toes, Health, healthy feet, heel pain, heels, infected toenails, inflammation, Ingrown Toenails, inserts, kids feet, kidsnmotion, knee pain, knees, little feet, little kids, measure, muscles, Nails, Neuroma, new zealand podiatrist, north shore podiatry, orthotics, paediatrics, pain, painful feet, pigeon toes, plantar fasciitis, Podiatrist, podiatrists, podiatry, podiatry new zealand, podiatry nz, PodiatryNZ, pronation, remuera podiatrist, remuera podiatrists, remuera podiatry, running, running injuries, Running Shoes, sandals, shape, Shoe, shoes, Shopping, size, Skin, socks, sore feet, sore foot, sporting, sports, sports injuries, sports podiatry, stretching, swelling, tendonitis, The Podiatrist, toe pain, toenails, toes, tripping, walking, warts, west auckland podiatry, your feet. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.